Ask the question of what Australia is known for to Aussies and foreigners and you’ll get answers like Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Kylie Minogue, kangaroos, koalas, cricket, swimming, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Bondi Beach, Aborigines, Minerals, wine and vegemite. Australia is much more than these. Here are 40 interesting facts to share with family, friends and visitors about Australia.
1) It is the 6th largest country in the world, occupying an entire continent of some 7.6 million square kilometres.
2) It has the world’s 3rd largest ocean territory, spanning three oceans and covering around 12 million square kilometres.
3) Vegetation covers nearly 7 million square kilometres or 91 percent of Australia.
4) The largest Greek population in the world beside Athens in Greece can be found in Melbourne Victoria.
5) Most of Australia’s exotic flora and fauna cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
6) The Indigenous ‘Dream Time’ is the foundation for tens of thousands of years of spiritual aboriginal art, traditions, legends, myths, folklore and culture.
7) The only nation-continent of 20 million people in the world.
8) The wattle was adopted as the national floral emblem in 1912.
9) The first Australian Friendly Society with the motto of ‘Advance Australia’ was the Australian Natives’ Association (ANA) formed in Victoria in 1871.
10) More than 80 percent of Australians live within 100 kilometres of the coast making Australia one of the world’s most urbanised coastal dwelling populations.